DESCRIPTION:
Fergusson Building was the second of three buildings erected in 1929 on the block known at the time as "Civic Square". Several unsuccessful attempts had been made during the previous ten years to plan for a civic centre on the site but nothing eventuated and towards the end of 1927 the site was subdivided and offered for lease by auction.
The Fergusson Building was commissioned by a company of the same name which was established in 1928 by the real estate firm of Samuel Vaile and Sons and two professional men, G.L. Taylor and A. St.C. Brown. Almost identical in outward appearance to its adjoining neighbour Civic House, Fergusson Building was also designed by Sinclair O'Connor. The contract for the Fergusson Building was not let until two months after that for Civic House. By mid-December Fergusson Building was reported to be in its finishing stages.
Taylor was the only shareholder to occupy space in the building, conducting his dental practice on the second floor until 1955. In 1947 the building was renamed the "Atwaters Building" but reverted to the name "Fergusson Building" in 1973. In 1956 it was purchased by the City Council to provide additional office space until the present Greys Avenue Administration Building (1966) was completed. Over the years it has accommodated a variety of government offices, commercial and retail outlets.
Fergusson Building was the second of three buildings erected in 1929 on the block known at the time as "Civic Square". Several unsuccessful attempts had been made during the previous ten years to plan for a civic centre on the site but nothing eventuated and towards the end of 1927 the site was subdivided and offered for lease by auction.
The Fergusson Building was commissioned by a company of the same name which was established in 1928 by the real estate firm of Samuel Vaile and Sons and two professional men, G.L. Taylor and A. St.C. Brown. Almost identical in outward appearance to its adjoining neighbour Civic House, Fergusson Building was also designed by Sinclair O'Connor. The contract for the Fergusson Building was not let until two months after that for Civic House. By mid-December Fergusson Building was reported to be in its finishing stages.
Taylor was the only shareholder to occupy space in the building, conducting his dental practice on the second floor until 1955. In 1947 the building was renamed the "Atwaters Building" but reverted to the name "Fergusson Building" in 1973. In 1956 it was purchased by the City Council to provide additional office space until the present Greys Avenue Administration Building (1966) was completed. Over the years it has accommodated a variety of government offices, commercial and retail outlets.

Fergusson Building | Martin Jones | 05/08/2009 | NZ Historic Places Trust

null | Martin Jones | 05/08/2009 | NZ Historic Places Trust
Location
List Entry Information
Overview
Detailed List Entry
Status
Listed
List Entry Status
Historic Place Category 2
Access
Private/No Public Access
List Number
4573
Date Entered
23rd April 1992
Date of Effect
23rd April 1992
City/District Council
Auckland Council
Region
Auckland Council
Legal description
Lots 1 9 10 Pt Lot 8 DP 21520
Stay up to date with Heritage this month
